by Kiersten Bryant, Head Editor, INALJ California
9 To Follow: Sharing and Expanding Knowledge with Learnist
I recently discovered the website Learnist. It is a relatively new website that launched in May 2012. It is similar to Pinterest in that it provides a place to collect content from the World Wide Web and organize it into categorized “Boards,” but unlike Pinterest, Learnist is dedicated to learning. The purpose of Learnist, as stated on one of their own Learn Boards is for users to “share what you know and learn new things.” In addition to learning about various topics from Learnist, it is also a useful tool for collecting and organizing information from across the web about a particular subject that you are researching, writing about, or teaching a class on. It provides a place to share your knowledge with others about a topic that you are passionate about. The knowledge that is shared on Learnist is only limited by users’ imaginations, making for a varied and divers range of topics. You can find boards about drinking whisky, cell mitosis and meiosis, Gandhi, the SAT and ACT, and so much more! Most importantly you can find boards about the library and information profession, and topics that are relevant to the field.
I haven’t had a chance to dig deeply into Learnist but I have found some interesting library and career-related Learn Boards:
- Library Workers and Libraries have content that covers many areas of librarianship and libraries; Libraries has a stronger academic focus. @your library is just one of many boards that provide content related to school libraries.
- Makerspaces in Libraries is a collection of resources for creating makerspaces in libraries.
- Libraries Inside America’s Prisons contains videos and stories about library services for correctional facilities. I found this board to be very educational as I have little knowledge of what it’s like to work in a prison library.
I have found several Learn Boards that are full of tips and advice for job seekers:
- Interviewing, Job Hunting and More has several articles and infographics with job hunting advice.
- Writing Effective Cover Letters is a collection of advice and strategies on writing cover letters.
- Career Advice has articles about job hunting and career advice.
These are just a few examples of what can be found on Learnist. I plan to explore it further, and in the spirit of life-long learning I invite you to do the same!