Curriculum Vitae (PDF version)
- Work Experience
- Presentations/Speaking Engagements
- Professional Memberships
- Honors and Awards
- Other Volunteer Work
- INALJ Bio
- INALJ Articles
- Contact Information
Senior Institutional Participation Coordinator, United Kingdom and Northern Europe – JSTOR, New York, NY: April 2011 – present
- Analyze data and prepare usage reports to guide new and existing JSTOR participants to products. Reports minimized attrition in many European countries and led to new relationships with participants throughout Europe.
- Develop and manage Outreach knowledge base with notes from various meetings and Outreach realignment workshops.
- Prepare training programs for customer relationship management software and usage reporting for new employees.
- Use customer relationship management software to organize participation data. Prepare reports for directors on participation trends and territory sales opportunities.
Head Editor/Senior Editor (various states/provinces), Volunteer Coordinator USA – I Need a Library Job (INALJ) Website (inalj.com): March 2013 – present
- Update website with new jobs for the region daily.
- Plan and lead research projects to find new job resources
- Write monthly articles on job hunting and professional networking.
- Assist in placement of new volunteers and management of existing volunteer assignments (reassignments, time off)
Independent Consultant, Outreach and Participation Services – JSTOR, New York, NY: October 2010 – April 2011
- Collate and tag data to develop reference tool for JSTOR Current Scholarship Program. Develop organization of tool and means for staff to contribute to it independently.
- Review current JSTOR classification for US colleges and universities to determine any necessary changes. Propose new JSTOR classification system and test effects of re-classification.
Reference and Circulation Intern – Middlesex Public Library, Middlesex, NJ: May 2010 – December 2010
- Handle all aspects of circulation, cataloging, reference, and acquisitions.
- Oversee library computer usage by patrons.
- Plan adult programs as appropriate.
- Participate as reader and supervisor for summer reading program.
Library Assistant – Saiber LLC, Newark, NJ: February – July 2008
- Review, analyze and implement new billing strategy for library databases to best re-allocate non-billable time. Increased billable research time by 10 – 15 percent.
- Handle acquisitions and collection development for law library and personal attorney libraries.
- Perform legal research as appropriate
- Coordinate bi-weekly and special training sessions with Lexis and Westlaw representatives.
Marketing Assistant and Intern Coordinator – Saiber LLC, Newark, NJ: May 2004 – October 2009
- Coordinate intern and part time employee work schedules.
- Supervised office cleanup project in preparation for Firm relocation. Project was completed several months in advance of October 2009 relocation date.
- Negotiate advertising contracts with trade publications. Ads appeared seven to eight times a year in the largest law journal in New Jersey.
- Prepare ads, marketing proposals, press releases, and attorney biographies.
- M.S.L.I.S., Library and Information Science, Pratt Institute
- B.A., Government/Public Administration, York College of Pennsylvania
- Kosturski, Kate. “21st Century Education: A First-Hand Experience with the MOOC.” ACRL TechConnect Blog, 21 February 2012:
- Kosturski, Kate. “The Refugee Returns Home: An MLS in Corporate America.” Against the Grain 24.2 (2012): 24, 26
- Deards, Kiyomi and Kate Kosturski. “Emerging Ideas On Emerging Technologies. A Report Of The LITA Emerging Technologies Interest Group Discussion. American Library Association Midwinter Meeting, San Diego, January 2011.” Technical Services Quarterly 28.4 (2011): 438
- Kosturski, Kate, and Frank Skornia. “Handheld Libraries 101: Using Mobile Technologies in the Academic Library.” Computers in Libraries 31.6 (2011): 11-13.
T Is For Training Podcast, 2010 – present
- Frequent contributor and guest host for biweekly podcast in library workplace training
SLA NY 2014 Conference and Expo, New York, NY, September 2014
- Panelist, Social Media Tools panel
American Library Association Annual Conference, Las Vegas, NV, June 2014
- Panelist, Conversation Starter: “Change Does Not Suck”
American Library Association Midwinter Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, January 2014
- Panelist, “Challenges of gender issues in technology librarianship”
Internet Librarian, Monterey, CA, October 2013
- Panelist, “Tech Librarianship and Gender”
Circulating Ideas Podcast, May 2013
- Guest host for Episode 26: Gender Issues in Libraries
ACRL 2013, Indianapolis, IN, April 2013
- Panel presentation, “Game On! Creating Video Game Collections in Academic Libraries”
THATCamp Libraries Boston, February 2013
- Led discussion group on the Massively Open Online Course (MOOC)
ALA Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA, June 2011
- Presented Emerging Leaders project on video game collection development trends and best practices
ACRL 2011, Philadelphia, PA, March 2011
- Presented “Handheld Libraries 101” poster, an overview of mobile technologies in the academic library.
American Library Association (ALA): Member, 2007 – present
- Committee on the Status of Women in Librarianship (COSWL)
- Library and Information Technology Association (LITA)
- Learning Roundtable (LearnRT)
- New Members Round Table (NMRT)
- Leadership Development Director
- Reference and User Services Association (RUSA)
- Editor, Reference and User Services Quarterly (RUSQ)
- RUSA Membership Committee
- John Sessions Memorial Award (chair)
- Conference Program Coordinating Committee
- Collection Development and Evaluation Section (CODES) Member at Large
- RUSA Resource Development Committee
- RUSA Review Taskforce
Connecticut Library Association (CLA): Member, 2012 – present
Special Libraries Association: Member, 2007-2011, 2014-present
- Member, SLA New York City Chapter
- Member, News Division
Honors and Awards
Beta Phi Mu National Library Science Honor Society, Theta Chapter
- Member, 2011 – present
- Secretary, 2012 – present
American Library Association
- 2011 Emerging Leader, sponsored by Reference and User Services Association (RUSA)
Other Volunteer Work
Service Day Committee – JSTOR/ITHAKA, New York, NY: March 2012 – present
- Plan community service opportunities for employees in all offices.
- Suggest and research new community service initiatives for future participation.
Executive Board – York College of PA New York City Metro Area Alumni Chapter: March 2006 – April 2011
- Plan social and professional development events for local alumni.
- Serve as Career Development Panelist for annual Networking Reception.
Information Desk Assistant – Museum of Modern Art, New York, NY: August 2005 – April 2011
- Direct patrons to various Museum amenities, exhibitions and works of art.
- Promote Museum membership, exhibitions, and educational programs.
Fun fact you may not know about me: I only took my first international flight this year (2014) – I went to London for work.
- Librarian in a Box! (March 2015)
- Speed Mentoring: Why all the Rush? (February 2015)
- Fun for All That Librarians Call Their Favorite Time of Year! (January 2015)
- So what CAN a Librarian Do Outside the Library (December 2014)
- If You Want a Library Job, Look Outside the Library! (November 2014)
- Let’s Get Digital (Humanities) (October 2014)
- Easy Tips for Time Management – er, Maximizing Your Productivity (September 2014)
- Change Does Not and Will Not Suck (August 2014)
- Music as Motivator – Rock Out to Rock On With Your Bad Self (June 2014)
- The Key to Your New Job is You: Self-Care During the Job Hunt (April 2014)
- Guerilla Storytime (February 2014)
- Don’t Get Chopped in Your Job Search (January 2014, originally published in April 2013)
- The Doctor Is In….the Library! (December 2013)
- All About Accreditation (November 2013)
- Location, Location, Location: If I Can Make It There…? (October 2013)
- The Other Big Green Monster: Burnout (September 2013)
- All About Mentoring (August 2013)
- New Librarianship Master Class: What IS a Librarian? What is a Library? (July 2013)
- Kate Goes Conferencing, Part 2: Tips and Tricks (June 2013)
- Should You Go to That (Non-Library) Conference? (May 2013)
- E-Mail (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Full portfolio at katekosturski.info (Contact page includes my presence on other social media)