by Mychal R Ludwig, Head Editor, INALJ New Mexico
Can’t Miss Conferences, Conventions, & Events For New Mexico LIS Workers
Becoming an active member of one’s community, as well as continuing one’s adult education, represent two crucial parts of being an LIS professional. What then, are some must-see conferences, conventions, expositions, and events going on in the New Mexico region throughout a typical year, for the LIS professional to attend?
This list of 10 includes events that I have personal attended or have had suggested to me, and is by no means representative of all that New Mexico has to offer:
- August 23-25, 2013
- Location – Albuquerque, NM (Marriott Uptown)
- A companion of the larger, comic-oriented Albuquerque Comic Expo, Bubonicon, now in its 45th year, is a smaller, science fiction and fantasy focused experience, featuring guest speakers, cosplay, an art auction, and yearly presence of author George R.R. Martin.
- August 24-25, 2013
- Location – Albuquerque, NM (International Balloon Museum)
- Being held for its 2nd year, the Maker Faire brings together crafters, tinkerers and inventors of all ages and backgrounds in order to showcase and encourage creative, innovative “making.”
- September 11-22, 2013
- Location – Albuquerque, NM (Expo New Mexico)
- Rides, exhibits, livestock contests, food, concerts, and more. It’s a fair, people!
- October 5, 2013
- Location – Albuquerque, NM (Villa Hispana @ Expo New Mexico)
- Amazing local beer, local food, and live music!
- October 17-18, 2013
- Location – Los Alamos, NM (Mesa Public Library & Fuller Lodge)
- Like the big annual NMLA conference, but smaller, and not in Albuquerque.
- January 11-12, 2014
- Location – Albuquerque, NM (Hotel Albuquerque Old Town)
- A smaller annual comic convention, featuring comic book talent, cosplay, as well as TV. and film stars.
- April 2014
- Location – TBD, NM
- Vendors! Conference sessions! Free swag! Networking! You know how it works. Every other year in Albuquerque.
- April 24-26, 2014
- Location – Albuquerque, NM (UNM – “The Pit”)
- Celebrating the cultures of over 500 tribes from the United States and Canada, including the Miss Indian World Pageant and over 800 artisans and crafters.
- June 2014
- Location – Albuquerque, NM (The Albuquerque Convention Center?)
- The now annual, larger style, comic convention in Albuquerque, featuring comic books artists, comic book and geek culture vendors, TV and film stars, cosplay, geek speed dating, and more!
- July 5-6, 2014
- Location – Roswell, NM
- The weekend event in the UFO capital features guest speakers on a wide range of topics, authors, various costume contests, and much more family friendly entertainment.