There are many places you can interact online with other library job seekers. What I love about LinkedIn is that overall the discussions tend to lean towards being more professional than they do on Facebook, Twitter and other sites. In no particular order:
- INALJ- The I need a Library job Group : I founded this group for several reasons. Facebook discussions show up in Google and other search engine searches so I was looking for a more private space. LinkedIn offered the possibility of a locked group that anyone could join but search engines couldn’t crawl. Also I wanted all discussions to take place in one place instead of scattered over Facebook and other forums.“A positive space online for information professionals, library staff and librarians looking for jobs to congregate and share tips and information.”
- LIS Career Options LinkedIn page A subgroup of ALA and founded and managed by Kim Dority, a renowned info pro, the LIS Career Options page is one of my favorites because the discussions go beyond the scope of library jobs and into related fields.“This is a forum devoted to exchanging information about LIS careers, both traditional and alternative, for LIS professionals, students, and those aspiring to a career working with information.One of the great things about LIS career paths is that they offer so many possibilities: in the type of work you do, who you do it for, whether you do it as an employee, a contractor, a part-timer, or a solo entrepreneur, what you get paid, etc. Our goals will be to 1) explore all of those options (and more), and 2) share career strategies and tactics for achieving career goals, otherwise known as “getting from here to there!”
- Librarians In The Job Market LinkedIn page: Started by Jason Mulack this group is a great place to find what other librarians job hunting love- it is full of tips and suggestions for blogs and other resources.“This is a networking group about potential available library positions.”
- Librarianship Job Search and Careers LinkedIn page A subgroup of ALA with a focus on job hunting.Job seekers and employers in the library and information science and technology field can meet here to discuss current events, best practices, and industry trends related to library jobs, as well as network. No commercial messages or job postings, please. Brought to you by ALA JobLIST.
- Librarian Alternatives LinkedIn page Geared towards those seeking jobs both within and outside the library community.In this market, libraries are feeling the “pinch” Many of us are temp workers and have been looking for the librarian career opportunity for up to 3 years since graduation.
If you have any recommendations please join our LinkedIn discussion online.
Kim Dority, the Infonista has a great list as well called Only Connect!
Updated 7/10/12 and reposted from 1/24/12 and 8/3/12