by Renee Holden, Head Editor, INALJ Nebraska
Things That Make Me Smile in Public Libraries
I have read so many articles and have heard so many stories about the declining budgets and difficult times of public libraries. I have heard from so many people that question the need for public libraries since everything can be found on the Internet. However, amidst all of this doom and gloom in the public library world, I can still find things in the public library that I work in that make me smile.
- The joy of a child reading their first chapter book without any help.
- The excited look on a patron’s face when you tell them that their favorite author’s new book is available to check out and take home with them today.
- Introducing a patron to the super exciting world of graphic novels.
- Watching a group of children go crazy when they find out that the library loans out video games for free.
- Helping a patron, who recently lost their job, with their resume and then finding out weeks later that the patron you helped with their resume found a new job.
- I think that the best example of what make me smile in a public library is when I learned that a exercise DVD that I recommended to a patron helped them lose 30 pounds.
I love being a public librarian and despite everything happening in the library world today; I know I will always be able to find something to make me smile.